Why Costa Rica? Why Jaco?
Since I had named this blog Why Costa Rica?, I thought it might be good to consolidate all the reasons previously stated on the CR beach website, and put them in one location. I will update this as new awards are awarded.
The Boom started 2006 and continues due to:
1. The continued success of the luxurious Los Suenos Marriott Marina & Golf Resort, where their high end condos and homes set the standard for gated beachfront communities.
2. The availability of more than 700 fee-simple 100% fully titled Jaco-Playa Hermosa beach front condos, homes, villas & ocean view lots-cheaper and so much safer than Mexico!
3. The year-round tropical lush green beauty of the Jaco beach area with the best climate enjoyed along the entire Central American Pacific coast! No hurricanes, no tornados, no tsunamis!
4. The new highway from San Jose to the Jaco area has opened and the travel time is now ONE hour plus to the popular western suburbs of San Jose (Santa Ana-Escazu areas with IMAX, Cima Hospital, the biggest mall in Central America, and Priceclub!). This should "guarantee" our properties to appreciate in value faster than other areas.
4. Jaco Beach visitors are astounded at the positive changes over the past few years: beautiful new roads, exciting beachfront rentals, more police, shops & international restaurants, cleaner beaches, more entertainment options with our new 4plex movie and Jaco Conference Center, plus smarter-better looking people like you!
5. Continual International Eco Tourism & Other Awards & Honors:
August 18, 2011: Costa Rica Ranks Best Country in Central America and the Caribbean for Foreign Direct Investment 2011-2012 Considering the country´s strong value proposition added to the attraction of more than 227 new investment projects between 2003 and 2010, the Financial Times Group´s FDI Intelligence unit has named Costa Rica the “Best Country of the Future for Foreign Direct Investment in Central America and the Caribbean” in its “FDI Countries of the Future” report. • Country outrivaled its traditional competitors the Dominican Republic, Panama and Puerto Rico.
Nov. 3, 2010 Costa Rica ranked number one value destination for winter 2010 by popular college student travel agencies: Smarter Travel, StudentUniverse, and STA in regards to great value locations for trips from December 1 through January 25.
August 26, 2010: The magazine "Travel + Leisure" places Costa Rica at the top as the best country in the world for single travel. In its latest publication, the magazine takes a look at the top 15 vacation spots for singles travel, taking into account several factors, among them basics for a foreigner to enjoy their stay in a country and security.
2009 Global Prosperty Index ranked Costa Rica #1 of Latin American nations out of 104 nations indexed.(see our News page!)
Costa Rica tops list of 'happiest' nations with the world's highest life satisfaction and the second-highest average life expectancy of the new world (second to Canada)," said the Independent British group that creates the Happy Planet Index July 5, 2009 CNN reports.
Costa Rica is the safest country in Latin America for business and multinational companies, according to the latest Latin Security Index analyzed by FTO for the weekly publication Latin Business Chronicle, May 25, 2009.
For the fifth consecutive year, Travel Weekly magazine has named Costa Rica as “Top Latin American Tourism Destination” for 2008.
The World Travel Awards announced (Feb. 2008), that Jaco Beach Costa Rica (with votes mainly from the U.S. and Canada), was recognized as "the Leading Beach in Central America."
Billabong's 2009 International Surfing Association (ISA) World Surfing Games was in Playa Hermosa Jaco beach, Costa Rica, July 31 till Aug. 9, 2009, 35 countries participated. It was a big success with an estimated 70,000 people in attendance!
Costa Rica, according to The Global Competitiveness Report 2009, is the highest ranked Central American country, with Panama the next highest. Costa Rica’s commitment to education, good governance standards, production and export diversification (such as high-tech products, eco-tourism, and medical tourism) were some of the factors.
UPDATE June 25, 2011
The Jaco Cinema Complex is now open with 4 movie screens, with prices ranging from $4-$7. HOORAY!
UPDATE APRIL 16TH, 2011
The town of Jaco is very proud to have won its 4th Blue Flag thank to the joint efforts of the Municipality of Garabito, Central Pacific Chamber of Commerce, community and especially thanks to the excellent performance of the Interinstitutional Environmental Commission of Jaco , the only one in Costa Rica.
In order to receive the Blue Flag award, the quality of water, the solid waste management systems, the signaling of roads, the environmental education and public safety are all evaluated. The city council, local businesses and members of the community all worked together to ensure that the requirements were met and that Jaco was able to renew their accreditation.
For those that have not been to Jaco in the last few years,
you will be shocked at the changes:
First: the newly paved roads entering our town.
Second: the high rise towers showing the dramatic growth.
Third: the small modern shopping centers;
Fourth: the presence of tourist police & the municipal police in
new cars and motorcycles.
Fifth: fewer low lifes, now replaced by tourists and cool people like you!
HOW NICE TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT RECEIVES INTERNATIONAL TOURIST AWARDS!
1. The magazine "Travel + Leisure" places Costa Rica at the top as the best country in the world for single travel, says Inside Costa Rica Aug 26, 2010.
In its latest publication, the magazine takes a look at the top 15 vacation spots for singles travel, taking into account several factors, among them basics for a foreigner to enjoy their stay in a country and security.
2. Travel Weekly ranks Costa Rica as the best Latin American Destination 05-Jan-09
Travel Weekly Magazine, a specialized travel trade magazine, recognized Costa Rica as the best Latin American travel destination. The publication highlighted among the assets of the country, its many leisure activities and the friendliness of the Costa Rican people.
This is the 5th year in a row that Costa Rica has been ranked this high while competing on this occasion with destinations such as Peru, Brazil, Argentina and Belize. The selection of Costa Rica was the result of a voting process in which 180 thousand travel industry readers in the United States representing travel agencies, hoteliers, corporations and suppliers, actively participated.
Source: National Press
3. COSTA RICA IS AN ECO PARADISE ACCORDING TO NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC July 11, 2008, "the tropical jungles, rivers and the country`s beautiful white beaches were reason enough for the National Geographic Channel to rate Costa Rica as the closest thing to heaven on earth."
4. Condé Nast Traveler recognizes Jaco Costa Rican Hotel
25-10-08 A recent edition of Condé Nast Traveler magazine, mentions Costa Rica among their Best Hotels of Central America awards. Each year, the readership of the magazine selects the Top 100 - Destinations, Hotels, Resorts and Islands (among other categories), to be recognized by the publication. Costa Rican hotels included in the listing are Lapa Ríos Ecolodge, ranking in 2nd place; Hotel Grano de Oro, in 5th place; followed by the Costa Rica Marriott in sixth and Villa Caletas in seventh. In the category of Central American and South American Resorts, Hotel Punta Islita ranks 1st while the Four Seasons Resort took fourth place. Source: La República
5. U.S. TV Networks and Internet sites recently promoting the virtues of Costa Rica
07-03-09 Reports aired on U.S. networks such as CNN, CNBC and ABC (available on You Tube), highlight Costa Rica as one of the most attractive destinations for Health related tourism, Real Estate and leading edge Technology. For Medical Tourism, foreigners have selected Costa Rica for the combination of its low cost services, modern technology and highly trained health professionals.
6. The World Bank has ranked the Costa Rica as the world’s fourth exporter of technology, ranking first in all of Latin America. With respect to leading edge technology, Costa Rica has been recognized as an ideal destination for the development of the industry.from Al Día
7. The 2009 International Surfing Association (ISA) World Surfing Games has been awarded to Hermosa Beach/Jaco, just 5 minutes south of Jacó on the Central Pacific coast. Some 35 countries are expected to be represented in the prestigious competition set for July 31 through Aug. 9, 2009. Improvements are being made to the Hermosa Beach Jaco area- right now!
8. The World Travel Awards announced (Feb. 2008), that Jaco, Costa Rica won "the Leading Beach in Central America."
9. Costa Rica is the second best tourist destination in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to a survey by the World Economic Forum (WEF), which evaluated 130 nations (Mar. 14, 2008).
10. 26-02-09 Rain Forest Aerial Tram of the Tarcoles, Jaco area receives award as the Best Tour for the 2007-2008 season by Princess Cruise Lines.
11. Costa Rica Blue Flag Beach Awards: Oct. 2008 Jaco received its first Blue Flag beach designation for its clean beaches and general cleanliness, clean tap water, and other things. Again awarded this Mar. 24, 2009!!! AND AWARDED AGAIN IN 2010!!!
12. March 24, 2009 Playa Hermosa of Jaco has just been awarded its first Blue Flag beach designation. All of the Hermosa residents (including me) and international surf lovers are celebrating this award. Congratulations!
Prior Awards for Costa Rica:
2008 Readers’ Choice Award: Best Destination for Ecotourism & Adventure.
2007 Travel Weekly voted CR: Best Destination Latin America
2006 Smarter Travel.com voted CR: #3 Safest Destination for Women Travelers
2006 Magazine "Viajes y Turismo" granted Costa Rica
the award for "Best Nature Tourism Offered"
2004 Recommend (one of the most read mags by employees of travel agencies),
Readers’ Choice Award: Best Destination for Ecotourism and Adventure.
Also Recommend Readers’ Choice Award: Best Selling Destination
for Latin America
2004 Modern Bride - Best Destination for Honeymoons (Culture)
Modern Bride - Adventure Destination for honeymoon
2004 Travel Weekly - Best Destination for Latin America Travel Weekly -
Best Destination for Tourism from the United States
2003 Recommend - Best Destination for Latin America.